Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 75, 3/16/2011


Up, up , up and away we go again!

Side Trip, Gustavus, Alaska...


This may have been the prettiest morning here yet. The dusting of snow we got the other day was nice, but these are big fluffy snowflakes that are caking on the tree branches. 

It looks like a shaken snow globe out the window, and I couldn't stop taking pictures on my walk to work this morning.
On the way back to the apartment after work, it was more like a sloppy wet mess. It's rain/snowing, and all of the pretty snow that was on the trees has melted away already.  Despite the damp gray weather, I tromped down the street in search of a trailhead that one of the interpretive rangers told me about today. She said it led to a pond, and that there was often wildlife for the viewing back there. She even went to the trouble to draw me a map (everyone here has bent over backwards with hospitality for me). After a couple wrong turns, I found the trail. I got to the pond and it was pretty quiet, with no signs of life besides myself. But I'm still glad I went. First, I can always use the exercise. Second, it was a very nice raised boardwalk traversing a one mile loop. I didn't even really mind that I had to post hole through the deep snow much of the way. What really struck me was back in the woods, the cattywampus branches hung low over the walkway, and the moss dripping off of them sort of made the place look primeval. It was cool in a Jurassic Parkish way.

To top off the day, I saw a flying insect that looked curiously like a mosquito. 


No comments:

Post a Comment