Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 361, 12/27/2011

Just about everyone I’ve talked to in the last couple weeks is asking the same question. “Did your electric bill go WAY up this month too?”

My answer would be yes. 

It went up roughly $100 from November to December, which seems to be the average increase from what I’ve been hearing.

Now I know it is expensive to live here, and that it gets more so in the winter, when we’re trying to stay warm and need a lot more artificial light. It also doesn’t help that I have so many Christmas lights. But even taking all of that into consideration, something here is amiss.

I’ve heard all kinds of rumors, including that Golden Valley Electric Association, a supposed co-op organization, had to jack the rates way up because too many people were being energy efficient and they were losing money. I have not been able to find anything in writing to substantiate that one. But GVEA has offered some explanation for its “members.” 

They have also been gracious enough to offer some money saving tips.

I may not have all the facts, and may be just a tad aggrieved about the whole thing, but from where I sit, having seen the much more reasonable rates being charged Alaskans in other regions for energy, it looks like our friendly neighborhood monopoly is doing a little gouging in the Interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment