Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 27, 1/27/2011

Since I didn’t make it out of the office all day and nothing interesting appeared outside my window, the subject of today’s entry will be the drive to work.

We got some fresh snow overnight and throughout the morning. I love the sight of the snow, and playing in it. I don’t care much for having to drive in it.

With the dry climate here, the snow gets kicked up on the road by the cars that are driving over it and swirls and twirls around in the air. It can be pretty, even hypnotic, but when you’re moving along in the dark on an icy road with cars in front of you and cars behind you, it’s important to be able to see where you’re going.

A few miles into my commute, a snowshoe hare runs out in the road in front of me, and I slow down but I can’t slam on the brakes because it won’t do any good, I’ll just keep sliding. It makes it across the road and then for some insane reason decides to turn around and run back across from whence it came toward the lane I’m in. I tried to slow down a bit again, (mind you there’s a car behind me) and that crazy rabbit stops right in front of me, looks straight at me for a second, and takes off again. By now I’ve done all I can do. I just reluctantly glance over to the rear view mirror hoping he has all the right moves. Whew! No dead bunny in the road! I caught a glimpse of his little white tail disappearing into the darkness. That little joker was lucky today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment